So how does a link-shortening service work?
Well, basically a short URL service, shortens a longline of web address, for example:
A link-shortening service will completely change it and make it shorter and it could instead look like this:
The new and shortened URL is alot better to use on Twitter or anywhere else than the very long one.
But just like all things in this world, there are some advantages and disadvantages associated with link-shortening services.
ADVANTAGES OF USING SHORT URL’s:
1. Easy to distribute as they don’t get broken into pieces in mail messages
2. For affiliate marketer, easy to distribute without having their affiliate id revealed.
DISADVANTAGES OF USING SHORT URLs:
1. Does not look clean
2. Not Easy to type and Remember
3. Unable to identify the website content by simply looking at the URL. Normally, you can just tell what is inside the link by simply looking at the URL. For example:
With short URL, there’s no way you can tell whether the site you are being redirected to is safe and doesn’t contain adult content or viruses.
4. Slow down in loading the redirect location
5. Failure to give credit to the website you’re linking to.
6. Failure to retrieve the real location. In cases of bad links, and you need to update the link to display the correct redirect link.
7. Most of the short URLs services provides shortened URL in an almost jibberish way.
8. Some short URL services are not trackable.
If you really insist on using short URLs without losing track of it, there are services that also offer redirect tracking along with the link-shortening capability such as KlikDeal.com and Bit.ly, both of which have URL shortener and redirect tracking functions.
I’m not convincing you to trash your URL shortener ONLY service, it’s still nice to have a clean and stylish url posted on sites that only allows you a limited number of characters to type in. But it would still be much better if you do it the right and productive way.
Until Next Time
Peter – Your Affiliate Marketer Guide